In light of the current situation we are all facing due to the Covid-19 outbreak, we have identified some patients that could benefit from being placed onto electronic repeat dispensing.
Repeat dispensing is a process that allows the patient to obtain repeated supplies of their medicines without the need for the prescriber to sign the prescription each time. If your medication is stable and once your medication has been reviewed, we will issue a batch of repeat prescriptions (usually for a 1 year period) that will go to your pharmacy. You will then be able to pick these up every 28 or 56 days depending on your prescription interval.
Repeat dispensing is beneficial for patients, the surgery and your pharmacy. Below are the reasons why:
Benefits to the patient:
- All your medicines will be synchronised.
- Offers you convenience and flexibility. For instance you can request a prescription earlier from the pharmacy if you are going away on holiday, as long as this does not exceed 3 months’ supply.
- Saves you time as you don’t have to keep going between the surgery and pharmacy.
Benefits to the surgery:
- Reduced workload for both receptionists and prescribers, as we will only have to deal with a repeat prescription request once.
- Better use of prescribing resource. We want to free up prescriber time so that we can spend more time seeing our patients.
- To reduce the pressure on the pharmacies.
Benefits to the pharmacy:
- Allows prescription dispensing prior to patient arrival at pharmacy (in normal circumstances.
- Better stock control.
- The pharmacy team will not have to chase up prescription requests with surgery.
DERBY ROAD HEALTH CENTRE
From week commencing, Monday 23rd March we will temporarily be reinstating requests for repeat prescriptions over the telephone, this will support self isolating patients over 70’s and at risk. There will be a dedicated telephone option added to the main menu for repeat prescriptions. Lines will be open daily for the set times 11.30 -14.00.
We would ask that all patients please register with our online services to enable requests for medication online.